Monday, September 24, 2012

First Weekend

I'm actually pretty far behind on my posts...and I know I've been here for 2 weeks already, but here's what I did on my first weekend in Costa Rica:
Unlike a normal Saturday here, we got to celebrate the Costa Rican Día de Independencia! OUr taxi driver on friday night told me he was excited for their version of the 4th of July, and when I questioned him on what was going to happen he told me that the Costa Rican army was going to march in the parade! Totally confused (since Costa Rica abolished their army in 1948), he reassured me that he was talking about their students! The parade the next morning was literally only student, but a lot of fun as the entire Atenas community squeezed into the town square to watch, enjoy and eat a lot of food!
The bungee crew!
Sunday, our first real day off, finally came! Some people when to San José and others to the beach, but 6 of my friends and I decided to try something new and go bungee jumping! After somehow finding a cab to fit us all, we were off to jump off the highest bridge for bungee jumping in the Americas!

Literally, it was the scarier thing I've ever done. I made everyone let me go towards the beginning in case I chickened out from watching everyone else jump. The anticipation was crazy and the moment when you stand on the edge of the platform was extremely emotionally draining. 265 feet is a long way down and as you jump and realize the ridiculousness of your situation and the canopy and rushing river rise up to meet you, your only thought is "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING!?"


Thankfully, that doesn't last long, and the sensation of being sucked out of the air by the bungee around your ankles brings you back Earth, even though you're still bouncing and spinning and dangling in the middle of a Costa Rican canyon!

1 comment: